🚧 What did you do to your website today?

Thanks, but I don’t want to use server-side scripting for my website. I want my site to be something that you can download as a zip file and read offline if you have to, and server-side scripting isn’t compatible with that goal.

It would also force me to store user data, and I’d rather store nuclear waste in my basement.

Instead, I’m using media queries. If your device is set to dark mode, you’ll get a dark theme. Otherwise, a light one. That’s well-supported and doesn’t require any scripting or data handling.

7 Likes

I changed my “books I’ve read” list from chronological order to reverse chronological order. So the most recent books will be seen first.

3 Likes

I gave your post a like because of this line:

4 Likes

today, i got my first fanlisting up and running! if you’re a fan of the band they might be giants, check out melody, fidelity, quantity and add yourself to the list. i made lots of buttons! :musical_note:

if you’re not a fan, maybe you’ll check it out anyway just to see the layout (i’m proud of it!), and maaaaaybe you’ll even watch the birdhouse in your soul music video and become a fan. it can happen to anyone.

4 Likes

Adjusted my site’s light mode so that the body background is ivory instead of white.

7 Likes

I need to sit down and sort out my “white” colour, it’s too bright.

I’ve been using this web-safe color picker that @Frills made.

2 Likes

the color picker is pretty nice.

I added all the links to every board along the top, which is probably the best idea I had since I made board api client to include board posts in blog posts.

2 Likes

I did some work on the shell scripts with which I build my site’s pages. For each page, I’m now checking for subheadings (h2-h6). If any are present, I’ll build the page with a collapsible table of contents in the headng.

This is the main script, to-html.sh.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

INPUT=$1
OUTPUT=$2
VARIABLES="${INPUT/.htm/.sh}"

. "./common.sh"
. "${VARIABLES}"

PAGE_URL=$(echo "${INPUT}" | sed -e "s|site/||" -e "s|.htm|.html|")
SUBJECT=$(echo "${PAGE_TITLE}" | sed -e "s| |%20|g")
CREATED_TIMESTAMP=$("${DATE}" -u -Iseconds -d "${PAGE_CREATED}")
CREATED_DISPLAY=$("${DATE}" -I -d "${PAGE_CREATED}")
EMAIL_SUBJECT=$(echo "${PAGE_TITLE} by ${AUTHOR}" | sed -e "s| |%20|g")
HEADING_COUNT=$(grep "<h" "${INPUT}" | wc -w | xargs)

case $PAGE_LEVEL in
    0)
        RELATIVE_PATH="."
        ;;
    1)
        RELATIVE_PATH=".."
        ;;
    2)
        RELATIVE_PATH="../.."
        ;;
    3)
        RELATIVE_PATH="../../.."
        ;;
    4)
        RELATIVE_PATH="../../../.."
        ;;
esac

# Use tools from HTML-XML-utils implement server-side includes on localhost.
# Use HTML Tidy to pretty-print markup and make it readable for newbies using "view source".
"./templates/${PAGE_TEMPLATE}.sh" "${INPUT}" "${HEADING_COUNT}" \
    | hxincl -f -b ./partials/ -x \
    | hxtoc -x -t -l 2 \
    | tidy -config ./tidy-html.conf \
    | "${SED}"  -f ./common.sed \
                -e "s|SED_TITLE|${PAGE_TITLE}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_DESCRIPTION|${PAGE_DESCRIPTION}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_SUBJECT|${EMAIL_SUBJECT}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_RELATIVE|${RELATIVE_PATH}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_PAGE_URL|${PAGE_URL}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_YEAR|${YEAR}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_PAGE_LINK|${PAGE_LINK}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_CREATED_ON|${PAGE_CREATED}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_CREATED_DISPLAY|${CREATED_DISPLAY}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_CREATED_TIMESTAMP|${CREATED_TIMESTAMP}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_UPDATED_ON|${UPDATED_DATE}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_UPDATED_DISPLAY|${UPDATED_DISPLAY}|g" \
                -e "s|SED_UPDATED_TIMESTAMP|${UPDATED_TIMESTAMP}|g" > "./${OUTPUT}"

This is one of my templates, which is also a shell script:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

PAGE_CONTENT=$(cat "${1}")
HEADING_COUNT="${2}"

if [ "$HEADING_COUNT" -gt 0 ];
then
    cat <<EOF
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="SED_LANG">
    <!-- include "head.html" -->
    <!-- include "home-top-nav.html" -->
    <!-- include "home-header-toc.html" -->
    <main id="content">
        ${PAGE_CONTENT}
    </main>
    <!-- include "footer.html" -->
</html>
EOF
else
    cat <<EOF
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="SED_LANG">
    <!-- include "head.html" -->
    <!-- include "home-header.html" -->
    <main id="content">
        ${PAGE_CONTENT}
    </main>
    <!-- include "footer.html" -->
</html>
EOF
fi
5 Likes

I made a page to keep track of my fitness goals for the year and reflect on how I feel about it so far. I plan on updating it through the year to keep myself motivated by being able to look back at how far I’ve come.

4 Likes

a little change to include the latest commit hash in my site footer. i aim to make my site open source, and this is a step in that direction.

of course, the repository is not public yet - i’m looking to move off of github before i do that. who knows when that will be.

revamped quite a few pages! also added some new ones

1 Like

Well, I’ve got a custom 404 page with cats.

I’ve also done some work on the random quotes in page footers. The markup is more semantic now.

And I have a new preview card image for parasocial media.

2 Likes

I’ve been adding a bunch of new goodies to my Halloween site, Kreepy Key’s Halloween Horrortorium, over the past few days. New soundbytes, pumpkin-carving patterns, crafts (more coming) and more. :D

2 Likes

nice. I like to have decent parasocial previews as a lifeline for people stuck in there.

Your blog has a lot of relatable stuff under “recommended posts.” Once I have as many articles as you that will be a good feature to add.

Thanks. You could start now if you want. Just start with one post that’s gotten a bit of attention.

i made a page for our longer prose pieces! it talks a little about our relationship with writing prose, as well.

i also made a page for one such prose piece, mr. and mrs. hope. that piece is about hope (obviously), suicide, and photography.

3 Likes

After what seems like forever I’ve finally had some focus time for some website building.

I put together a JSON feed for my bookmarks. This allows me to use Echo to consume the feed and cross post to Mastodon on my behalf. I could have used the existing ATOM feed, but JSON allowed a few extra parameters to allow me to construct the post just how I wanted.

I took the time to clean up the layout of the individual bookmark posts too and added a timestamp for the sake of feed readers.

Yay, feels great to be constructing again.

2 Likes

I updated my website for the first time in a while. It’s just a diary entry and a button being added, but it felt good to be at it! I’m hoping to be less overbooked in the upcoming months so I can sort out some stuff at home, including some web-building! Alas, it’s the curse of… accidentally becoming an extrovert? I guess.

Edit: Ooopsie I accidentally wrote a really long review of a book too, today. Yay for some kind of productivity! Haha

2 Likes