šŸ“ Blogroll: Share your blog posts!

Liberated another post from the almost-done pile: how to use your bookmarks

6 Likes

This post is awesome! Iā€™m definitely guilty of under-utilizing my bookmark. Your example is so much more organized than mine have ever been :laughing: It would be nice if there were a way to have a bookmarks view be the default on the new tab page or when you open a new window, maybe there is a good browser extension for that.

1 Like

Wish I could give this more hearts or maybe a raised fist.

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s a great idea, yeah!

On Firefox, I can set it to show Recent Activity > Bookmarks, so thatā€™s a bit random (I would prefer to see my folders) but itā€™s more wholesome than sponsored links :grimacing: or even my most visited sites and it reminds me my bookmarks exist.

Hmmm if I save the bookmarks into the Bookmarks Toolbar, then I can see my folders at all times. Thatā€™s a good shout - Iā€™ll add it to the tutorial. Then my whole browser is set up for success! Cheers ^_^

You gotta keep it organised because the moment you start just bookmarking without filing in a folder, thatā€™s when you never use bookmarks again - because itā€™s a mess. I am Struggling with the effort of organising my old bookmarks, even as a bookmark fan.

1 Like

I also see that Firefox will let you use a custom page as your homepage - a nice web design project! - but not for every new tab, which is a shame.

(I suppose the idea is that a new tab is gonna be a new page at any moment so why load a whole page, but iā€™d like to have the customisation option)

Anybody is welcome to link to anything of mine Iā€™ve written almost anywhere.

Incidentally, since you mention on your website that you like stories based on Baba Yaga, you might be interested in knowing about Finding Baba Yaga, a short novel in verse by Jane Yolen. I had gotten a copy as a freebie at the 2018 World Fantasy Convention.

Unless youā€™ve already read it.

I love Jane Yolen. I had not heard about this book, though, so thank you for the recommendation!

1 Like

RiNet | Kofola - The superior cola new post after a While

3 Likes

today i finished up a blog post where i talk about embracing the small web for meaningful connections and living more intentionally with a healthy relationship with the internet: TheSmallWay.txt | the library of alexandra

7 Likes

This one ended up taking longer than expected to writeā€¦ Monthly Recap: April 2024

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read twice now, one more time in the morning!

1 Like

ahh thatā€™s really great, I love it.

It reminds me a bit of Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport, which is sort-of a ā€˜self helpā€™ book for changing how you relate to social media, but he frames it in terms of a personal philosophy - why are these your values & what are you doing instead - instead of just rules. & the sense of it being a philosophy actually helps you connect with it a lot more.

2 Likes

Almost forgot to post my blog post from yesterday here: Iā€™m writing about why I write for the writing challenge

2 Likes

Itā€™s about relationships, but not just digital ones, like Februaryā€™s IndieWeb Carnival [#1 & #2]. I donā€™t like what I perceive the Internet to have done / be doing to peopleā€™s approach to them. Itā€™s most prominent online, but the digital always bleeds into the real.

2 Likes

And day two, talking about an oracle deck I just got.

I really hate that my Dreamwidth posts end up generating as ā€œCaptcha Checkā€ any time something tries to fetch a preview. I wonder if thereā€™s a way to turn that off somewhere.

1 Like

This thread is a gold mine!

1 Like

I recently wrote Copy my Copywork where I discuss the reasoning why my website is open source.

It was inspired by reading Copy other peopleā€™s copywork by Charles Villard.

5 Likes

oooh the footer on your webpage is so pleasing, I canā€™t say what it is about it but itā€™s just a satisfying thing to look at, really elegant

I like having the source code in a public repo. I donā€™t quite like having my blog posts in a public repo. Iā€™d love to be able to have them separate.

Thereā€™s something about someone cloning or forking my repo and getting all of that with itā€¦

I have no issue about the 11ty config that makes it all work, cause I post about that and share with others who also help themselves to apply to their own projectsā€¦

Great post!

I like having the source code in a public repo. I donā€™t quite like having my blog posts in a public repo. Iā€™d love to be able to have them separate.

If youā€™re using git, couldnā€™t you put a .gitignore in your repositoryā€™s root directory that ignores your posts directory? If you still wanted your posts under version control in a private repository, you could probably create a repository that get cloned to your posts directory.