šŸ“ Blogroll: Share your blog posts!

I jumped on the bandwagon and wrote about why I blog anonymously.

4 Likes

I wrote about discovering music in the age of algorithms and how algorithms are bad at suggesting music, but are also extremely convenient when they do work.

https://yequari.com/blog/2024/04/music-discovery-is-weird/

6 Likes

Sometimes the algorithm leads to some cool stuff! And sometimes I feel like the algorithm really doesnā€™t know me at all. Back in the day I would find new music through MTV. I was around when it first started and if they played something cool then Iā€™d look for it at Tower Records.

1 Like

Ah I forgot to mention MTV! Another concept completely foreign to me as a youngster :laughing: But yeah thatā€™s exactly how I feel about algorithms, when they work theyā€™re great but a lot of the time the suggestions feel random.

I ended up not doing my weekly blog post last week but Iā€™m back! Be warned - I talk about going to afternoon tea so if you do read the post, you might be hungry afterwards.

Weekly Wrap Up 07

1 Like

I wrote a post for the JS Naked Day!

4 Likes

I use uBlock Origin in Firefox to block JS on sites that abuse it, and Iā€™ve noticed many of the same things you have. And if Iā€™m determined to pierce a paywall, web.archive.org still seems to work fairly well.

unsolicited CSS advice

5px isnā€™t much padding for a blockquote on high-resolution displays. 10px or 1em/1rem might make them a bit more readable.

2 Likes

Nice post, it unlocked memories and made me think about the way things used to be

Iā€™m from 1978 and in the early 90s until the early 2000s we discovered music in two ways:

• through friends making mixtapes (or, later, burning CDs) and lending cassettes and CDs that would get copied.
  • through specialized magazines

I was a lot into heavy rock (any kind) and I read those magazines back to back, took notes of the most interesting stuff, and bought them at the store when i could spare the money.

3 Likes

a shorter post, more of an update than anything else Rheenah's webpage | Tales from BEYOND: Life abroad

2 Likes

I wrote about instant messaging and getting back into XMPP

https://yequari.com/blog/2024/04/dedicated-instant-messaging-was-better/

2 Likes

I wrote a rant in favor of doing just enough at work to earn your pay. Your boss wants maximum effort for minimum pay, so itā€™s only fair to demand maximum pay for minimum effort.

6 Likes

I often told younger coworkers who were entering the field perhaps for the first time ā€œNever make the mistake of being too good at your jobā€ Iā€™d show them examples of coworkers who had made the mistake and how nothing was given but more was expected

2 Likes

Thatā€™s stuff I had to figure out on my own.

https://www.rinet.biz/blog/rheenah-now-rinet

i finally have proper domain for my blog. this briefly explains why this domain specifically. all rheenah links will continue to work, unless subdomain provider decides to take it away (which they probably wont)

Damn, this one got away on me, took ages to put togetherā€¦ The first couple paragraphs are the key points. Donā€™t rely on VC funded or big platforms!

5 Likes

Iā€™ve been using shared hosting for years. If youā€™re in the US and know UNIX, Nearly Free Speech is really solid.

I heard the term ā€œsoftware carpentryā€ on a podcast recently, and it really stuck with me. It made me think a bit about job titles and whatnot.

https://pboivin.ca/journal/software-carpentry

4 Likes

Iā€™d rather see myself as a carpenter (or a plumber or electrician) than an engineer. Itā€™s a skilled trade with a union, unlike programmers and sysadmins.

3 Likes

Yeah NFS looks nice :ok_hand:

After I last mentioned looking at shared hosting a while ago, you mentioned them. I ended up picking up an old account with a local hosting provider who has servers in racks in a local data center.

Going good so far! Gives me opportunity to spin up a subdomain for servers like a PHP Mail script to handle my contact forms!

1 Like

Iā€™m a satisfied customer.

Hey, that works, too. Glad you found a solution.

1 Like