What do you do when you don't know *where* to put something?

I have a writing piece I want to put up on my page, but I’m not sure how to title it or if I even feel like decorating the page for it. It’s a rather raw piece and I’m tempted to do very little to the page it’s on, on purpose to represent that rawness.

But at the same time, I feel like if I’m going to make this page, I should make it visible, maybe even make a splash page for ‘blog’ style posts… even though so far I’d have a grand total of one, if I did this.

…sooo, what would you guys do? ;;

3 Likes

One of the things that motivated me to start writing, to post more, was seeing my empty blog section that came with my site theme / template. Slowly seeing it fill up over time has been a lovely source of pride and reflection. I encourage the ‘blog’ style splash page idea. At the same time, it is quite common to come across bloggers who don’t have a consistent writing output. Not that you need to have one, but I that I could also see the argument for writing some more pieces first before dedicating the effort to make the splash page. Lol, I guess my advice is: do whatever you think will motivate you to keep at it!

1 Like

This reminds me of Silvia Maggi’s website. There’s has a Blog section with typical dated entries, and another section titled “Jeremy Bearimy” for more experimental essays with their own formats, stylesheets, etc. This section is accessible via the footer :)

2 Likes

I ended up figuring it out! A page with tabs is what I need, no pressure to add more if I never write anything else, but it has a nice little intro and then some pages of things I’ve written :]

https://y2kstardust.neocities.org/disability

I think you should go with your gut instinct. :) If it’s a raw piece and you want to make the page more minimal to reflect that, you should! As you get more posts you can always modify it and play around with it. Usually with my own site I just let it evolve as I change things. If I only have one of something to share, I make a page for it. Maybe I won’t add anything else like it, but if I decide to later, then I expand on it. So I think it really depends on what you want to do. Don’t feel like you have to stick with a certain structure just because it’s what everyone else is doing. Make it however you feel inspired to make it now, and if it changes later, that’s okay too. :)

1 Like