🚧 What did you do to your website today?

It’s looking like a classic 00s layout now, I like :ok_hand:

Thanks. I’ve got all the templates updated; I’m just double-checking the pages now.

I really like how my homepage looks now. The other pages still need some work.

1 Like

Obligatory this is what it looks like for me post

1 Like

It isn’t mobile responsive, sadly. I don’t really know how to do that yet. You’ll have to zoom out to see the whole thing. Manatee is sorry. :bitty_sad:

Do you have the following in <head>?

<meta content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" name=viewport>
1 Like

I’ll check later. Thanks.

1 Like

you have <meta content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" name=viewport> set already :+1:

to get this look

you need to change your width’s to max-width

e.g…

body {
    max-width: 1000px;
}

.titlepageheader {
  max-width: 500px;
}

.menu {
  max-width: 500px;
}

add something like this to stack the manatee’s above and below the menubox element on smaller screens

/* Add media query for smaller screens */
@media (max-width: 768px) {
  .menubox {
    flex-direction: column;
  }
  .menu, .menubox img {
    max-width: none;
    padding: 10px;
  }
}
4 Likes

Ideally, I’d like to eventually have a fully-fledged mirror of my site on Neocities. But for now? A “profile”-like page will have to do! :yum:

1 Like

It would be nice if they’d support rsync over SSH for donors. WebDAV is just too janky.

1 Like

new summery layout i’ve been working on is live—i had initially planned a completely different direction but this just felt right.

5 Likes

Moved my “secret pages”, which weren’t really that secret in the first place but were a discoverability disaster, to the about section.

1 Like

This wasn’t something I did today, but recently. If you’re visiting starbreaker.org from a laptop or desktop, you’ll see I’ve implemented a three-column layout. As @fLaMEd suggested, it’s very much peak early 2000s web design, but with Flexbox and not the godawful CSS or tables people used to implement this design before Flexbox became part of the standard.

PS: If you’ve been there before, you might have to force-refresh the page because of cached stylesheets.

2 Likes

Ok, just looked at it on my wiiiiiide screen, a classic max-width wrapper may help or if you don’t want that, putting a max-width on your <p> tags would help with readability. Some of those paragraphs need 180’ head rotation to read :joy:

What’s your aspect ratio? 21:9 ultra-wide?

Maybe adding this will help.

@media (min-width: 1366px)
{
    html {
        font-size: calc(16px + 0.390625vw);
    }

.flex-nav, .flex-aside {
        flex: 0 0 20%;
    }

}

@media (min-width: 1920px)
{
    .flex-nav, .flex-aside {
        flex: 0 0 25%;
    }
}

Got the font-size part from Holy Grail 3 Column Responsive Layout (CSS Grid & Flexbox).

Did a major rehaul of my page on supernumerary rainbows the small thin rainbows that are sometimes seen right under the primary bow :3 my prior information on which waves overlap was incorrect, but its now fixed with more cool diagrams

4 Likes

I’ll let you know when I’m back on the desktop :metal:

1 Like

https://flamedfury.com/ now displays a random song lyric on page load.

TODO: no javascript fallback…

1 Like

Do you have access to PHP? Easy to do it that way, you wouldn’t have to rely on JS at all.

Edit: couldn’t resist (had to bowlderise one word to get through language filters)

<small id="quote">
<?php
$rnd = array();
$rnd[] = "Come on over, do the twist";
$rnd[] = "Overdo it and have a fit";
$rnd[] = "Love you so much it makes me sick";
$rnd[] = "Beat me out of me";
$rnd[] = "She keeps it pumpin' straight to my heart";
$rnd[] = "Nature is a wh0re";
$rnd[] = "With the lights out, it's less dangerous";
$rnd[] = "I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends";
$rnd[] = "It's okay to eat fish 'cause they don't have any feelings";
$rnd[] = "Love myself better than you";
$rnd[] = "I know it's wrong, so what should I do?";
$rnd[] = "Won't you believe it? It's just my luck";
$rnd[] = "Would you believe me when I tell you, you're the queen of my heart?";
$rnd[] = "She said, she'd take me anywhere";
$rnd[] = "Chokin' on the ashes of her enemy";
$rnd[] = "Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can bang with us";
echo $rnd[rand(0,count($rnd)-1)];
?>
</small>

Thanks for this!! I’ll tuck it away for a later date. I do have access to PHP but it’s not part of my current stack.

What I’ll end up doing is just have a single quote ready to load if JS is disabled :)

1 Like