Discourse Extension & Theme Suggestions

So I’ve been browsing the forum for a little bit now (thanks for the invite Xandra!) and while it seems more or less fine to browse so far, I do have a few suggestions for Discourse extensions that can enhance the overall forum-ing experience (although adding them isn’t a requirement):

• Category Icons: basically replaces the colored squares that represent categories in the sidebar and in other places with nice colored SVG icons! Makes it easier to pick out certain categories at a glance.
  • Tag Icons: the same thing as Category Icons, but for tags! Tag icons are monochrome, however.
  • Reactions: instead of just Liking a post, you can also react to a specific emoji to it, too! kinda similar to Discord reactions.
  • Discourse Docs: might be overkill for this forum, but basically allows you to turn forum posts into articles that will appear in their own Docs section. More or less perfect for having a non-editable wiki in a Discourse forum!

Anyone else have any suggestions for extensions or theme components to add to the forum? Link 'em below!

5 Likes

Reactions is actually on the list to be installed. Discourse Docs was something we discussed but ultimately decided against, though we might revisit it in the future. Tag and Category icons look cool though, they might help a lot with navigation.

3 Likes

Oh yeah I love the icons idea too!!!

1 Like

Found another plugin that can be useful for wiki topics, like the Resources List:

• DiscoTOC - adds a table of contents navigation to the right side of longer posts that have headings in them, like so (red square is just for emphasis):
1 Like

big +1 to the category icons, that would help a lot as someone whose eyes get “lost” easily!

i also really like the signatures plugin just for fun :^D

2 Likes

seconding this! i added the current table of contents to the resource list manually, but it’ll break as soon as a new section gets added or anything gets moved around, because of the way heading anchors work here (you have to include the text contents of the heading and its order on the page). having something automatic would be a huge quality of life improvement. and i like that it shows up on the side as you scroll.

I’ve added this plugin and added it to the resources list, it’s really amazing!

Signatures have been added too, you can add yours in your Profile settings!

3 Likes

Great, time to add some proper internet culture to my postings.

2 Likes

:warning: DiscoTOC isn’t working on the “Skeuomorphic, moi?” theme

1 Like

This has been fixed, it needed to be enabled for the theme.

3 Likes

It would be awesome to add the ability to respond via email.

I try to have all my forums etc. in email format so I can use my email client. Normally Discourse offers exceptional email support with mailing lists, but it seems to be disabled here.

1 Like

we can absolutely look into that and see what we can do :) thanks for raising this!

1 Like

Heya, i wonder if this theme can be added to this forum?
Discourse Classic Theme
I know that you people have said that this community isn’t a old web throwback one and so there hasn’t been a need for more oldskool forum software, but i still feel like this theme would be a neat bonus for those who want that kind of feel without having to change the software of this forum.

1 Like

If people were to make their own discourse themes (using this excellent tool), would it be possible to have them uploaded here?

yes!! we would LOVE that. we just don’t have the bandwidth as a mod team to do that at the moment.

2 Likes