What type of community events are you interested in?

some of these might be hypothetical or very long-term, but interested in getting a pulse check on how people feel generally about these event ideas! even if it seems like a far-off concept, select as many as you feel like you’d participate in. if you have additional thoughts, chime into the thread!

• in-person pop-up event
  • regularly scheduled virtual “office hours” for HTML help
  • a physical location to travel to/visit and work on websites
  • regularly scheduled virtual coffee chats to talk about websites & personal web
  • virtual webinars featuring speakers from all over the 'net
  • regularly scheduled virtual body-doubling/coworking time
  • movie/tv show nights
  • game nights
  • regularly scheduled blog prompt events (blog club)
  • letter-writing parties for free/open internet causes
  • trivia games with prizes
  • “five minute presentation” parties centered around the internet & website-building
0 voters
2 Likes

Virtual coffee chats is my favorite! It sounds fun and opens up social opportunities without as much planning or logistics

For HTML help I would be interested in being a helper! (once I have home wifi)

The internet causes one is a good idea, esp since we are all passionate about creating a better web, where things like privacy and access to information are important to us. Turning our values into activism makes sense!

2 Likes

In-person stuff would be amazing, should it ever come to pass.

And Manatee does enjoy trivia.

1 Like

re: regularly scheduled events, depending on the frequency I mightn’t be up to attending every event, but maybe every 𝑛th event for 𝑛>1.

1 Like

Would love the motivation and accountability of a blog club!

4 Likes

I like the blog club!

I also liked how some of the older events had webpage events. I think something webpage or shrine related could be fun on occasion too.

I also enjoyed the pixel art related events. Maybe some kind of creative themed challenge? As some people make art, some write, some make music, some enjoy designing webpages etc. If that sounds redundant I understand!

2 Likes

Surprising no one I like the ideas of chatting (me? Talkative? Nooooooo.) and gaming. I’d love to help organize some of these as well.

2 Likes

To everyone who voted for game nights please let me know the types of games you’re interested in!!! I ran monthly Jackbox events for a bit but stopped due to scheduling issues + low turnout. I could totally start that up again if there’s renewed interest.

2 Likes

I still have the skeletons for a combined RSS feed for 32bit Blog Club posts almost ready to go.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this belongs to community-events, since it isn’t listed, but I really enjoyed the code-jam, so I personally would be interested in more of those. o.o

1 Like

yes! we’ll definitely keep doing code jams. this was meant for some more “out there” ideas

I’m personally most excited about a blog club! I don’t always have ideas for what to write for mine, so it’d be fun!

I also like the idea of scheduled chats, webinars and 5-minuite presentations. Chats are allways chill and the later two provide more ways for people to learn ^^

3 Likes

One event that would be great in person (or as a video chat, if in-person isn’t possible) is a “show and tell” of some internal computer parts, what they do, and how they fit together. Not too much info because that would be overwhelming, just a few basics so we beginners have a better understanding of what’s inside our computers.

2 Likes