Weird Web October

https://weirdweboctober.website/

Weird Web October is a challenge to try and make a website every day of October, based on the theme for each day, inspired by Inktober. It’s open to you and everyone!

i reached out and got clarification that submissions can be webpages, not just standalone websites, and i’m hoping to participate! one per day is too fast a pace for me, but there are a few themes i’ve got my eye on.

8 Likes

Great idea, but this is already filling me with creation dread :melting_face:

3 Likes

Oh gosh, so many prompts… Maybe next year!

1 Like

it’s overwhelming to consider participating every day! i definitely won’t be doing that.
i’m mostly excited to see what other people make!

3 Likes

ooh!!! i’m definitely gonna try and do this, it seems fun!! the octothorpes thing seems really interesting, although i’m a little fuzzy on how it works/if it’ll work for a neocities page…

31 is probably way more ideas than i have in me, but it’s worth a try!

2 Likes

yay, i can’t wait to see your pages!

the octothorpes docs have a very circular logic that’s hard for me to parse… but it does work on neocities pages! here’s their demo neocities site and proof that it shows up in the neocities tag octothorpe.

3 Likes

ack, i spent half the day wondering if pages had to be manually approved to show up on #weirdweboctober… then i finally did some snooping around the source code of some other submissions and found out the instructions are incomplete. :devastated:

it says to paste the following into your page’s <head>:

<link rel="preload" as="fetch" href="https://octothorp.es/?uri=https://weirdweboctober.website/" >
<link rel="octo:octothorpes" href="weirdweboctober" >

but fails to mention that you need to change the uri value to match the page you’re submitting. maybe obvious to some, but not to me!

sharing this in case anyone else is sitting there wondering why their page isn’t showing up.

edit: i forgot to share the link to my entry!

3 Likes

HA i appreciate it because i did in fact just finish my entry and then go “ahh, it isn’t showing up, maybe i did it wrong…”
thanks!!!

also, here’s my thing for day one! pretty simple, but i went to the extra effort to make it work on phones - gonna try to do that for everything this month.

4 Likes

day two: css! a very small one for today. really broad prompt, intrigued to see where people go with this one!

1 Like

Woa, I found this one super captivating! Went back to it a couple of times actually. Well done :)

2 Likes

i’ve been really enjoying looking at everybody’s entries! including yours loren. your cmyk clock is my favorite so far i think.

i’ve been having a hard time thinking of things to do for a couple days in a row now and lost momentum… womp-womp… not sure if i’m going to try and catch up or just do the prompts that i feel like doing. i feel like i’ll get annoyed if i don’t 100% it but also… if i got no ideas i got no ideas! but on the other hand, the point is that it’s fine to do something really small and low-effort just for the sake of doing it…! many trials and tribulations to overcome in this world, truly. :pensive: