Other Online Communities

Early on in my journey of connecting with others online, I believe I had the good fortune of reading this post (partially quoted here):

“So my advice is to be an active member in many diverse communities across many areas of interest, don’t put all your eggs in one basket! I hope this forum adds a lot to your lives, but no single community can be your whole social world, thats not healthy for you or the community.”

“You don’t owe anything to a community; you don’t have to agree with their ideas, you don’t have to always be active, and you don’t have to partake in everything they do - being part of a community should feel casual and noncommittal; it should be fun and have little or no pressure; it should be a place where you can relax and be yourself (within the bounds of what kind of community it is)”

By Melon of MelonLand, via its forum.

This thread is for the sharing (and discussion!) of other online circles; additional places for us to, potentially, participate in.

Personally, my site’s ‘Online Communities’ page shares other sites you can find me on. And, on it, I also link to Cheapskate’s ‘A Curated List of Online Forums’.

7 Likes

Here’s something silly: The IndieWeb calls it a “social web map”. But, plot twist, this one’s from 2007!

Source: xfcd.com

2 Likes

A community I love to hang out in is the Zine Crisis Discord Server! It is, unsurprisingly, a community of zinesters~

There’s also an associated website with the Zine Idea Generator, a zine library, resources, etc. The description gives an overall vibe of what the community is like:

ZC MAG is a mutual assistance organization for and by creators of zines and small art, in conjunction with the Zine Crisis discord server. We believe that zines are for everyone, and are more necessary than ever in a creative landscape dominated by corporate art and art made for algorithms.

3 Likes

I’ve heard mention of snailmail/penpalling in a few of my smallweb spaces; for those of us who enjoy it I recommend Postcrossing and the forums associated with it! :D

4 Likes

I have a particular interest in communities that value anonymity that are not toxic, which is largely image and text boards. I also really like communities that are slower, value quality posting, and/or have a unique gimmick.

I quite enjoy the textboard letterbox. It’s a pretty old and fairly slow textboard. Post quality is decent and it’s archives are fun to read.

Other ones I like that have weird gimmicks:
tea - only open two hours per day. Board is wiped every day.

bus stop - All posts are deleted 24 hours, it’s p cozy,

Dolphin.Town - This is where dolphins post online. Their local feed seems to be disabled if you’re not logged in, so this is a link to the admin’s feed.

Analog City - A textboard that’s accessible via SSH. It’s very poorly moderated and at some point edgy kids found it, so browse at your own risk. can be accessed at lowlife@45.79.250.220 . The underlying software is pretty neat. It’s not well secured, so if you’re a hackerman see if you can get a shell.

happy browsing :)

1 Like