What are you self-hosting?

Got some really cool projects from all the comments, some of the things on my side:

• Miniflux: RSS Reader
  • Forgejo: Git forge
  • Mattermost: Chat and notifications
  • Shiori: Bookmark manager (PSA: I’m the current maintainer)
  • n8n: Automation
  • Node-Red: More automation (can’t decide between n8n and Node-Red)
  • ArchiveBox: Archival, though I rarely use it.
  • Syncthing relay: My own relay to use with the Syncthing file sync clients

I had other services that I let go because I didn’t use them and I’m currently moving my home services into a k3s cluster, since I use kubernetes at work is a good learning process.

2 Likes

I have been hosting my own websites on what I call The Server in the Cellar for 20 years. I know the trend is to use something like Docker with Cloudflare tunnels, but I use a straight install of Apache.

The OS has varied oveer the years, it started off with Windows 2000, then I used Fedora for a few years, and now it’s on Windows 10.

I recently digitized thousands of family photos and am looking at hosting something to display those. My leading contender for that is currently Piwigo bu that might change before I get round to installing something.

1 Like

How is it? Where do you host it?

Does it work well for you? I have all my photos in folders but I’ve never found an app that has everything I want.

I wanted to host it but I currently only have a raspberry pi, and paying 5 euros / month for a server with just 2GB of RAM.

I am running it on PikaPods https://www.pikapods.com/ I have not done much with the instance other than dump my photos into it honestly. I do plan to look into it more as I venture more into some plans I have with photography, but as of now it is just another place for my photos to be.

I’m another person who self-hosts some services using PikaPods.

As of this writing, I’m running:

I’m also currently testing Memos for daily usage, and considering running Paperless.

My home box hosts Jellyfin. My VPS is predominantly just an email forwarder & IRC bouncer but also hosts some of my buggy pet projects including:

• An image host
  • A notes/mindmapping webapp
  • A google reader clone

It used to host a lot more, but many of my tools and projects are essentially static web apps and so I moved most of those onto Netlify recently.

Pretty soon I plan to just build a proper little energy-efficient server to keep in my basement and use the VPS only for emails, but that has to wait for funds and space to become available :sob:

At the beginning of this month I received a hand-me-down server from my dad (along with a router a month prior), which kickstarted my self-hosting journey. A modest i3 processor, 300GB of HDD space and 12GB of RAM. Now I’m hosting the following on my homelab:

• Jellyfin for streaming TV/Movies, has syncplay so I can watch with friends/family remotely.
  • Navidrome for streaming music on the go.
  • Mattermost for a private text+voice chat for my friends and I.
  • Invidious for watching YouTube videos without ads. Doesn’t require JS either which is a bonus.
  • SearXNG for a search aggregator.
  • Owncast for livestreaming without the need for Twitch or some other 3rd-party.
  • Faircamp for a static site to stream/download my music.

I also have a couple game servers running, one for Minetest and another for Veloren

Along with all those, I’m hosting my websites from my homelab as well:

Virtual Galleria also has a 24/7 internet radio of my music library on shuffle (almost 3 weeks worth of music).

Not sure what else to add at this point, but looking through the other posts has given me lots to consider!

3 Likes

My “homelab” is currently 2 decomissioned dell optiplex office computers im using to host AMP a frontend for managing game servers.

1 Like

Decommissioned office computers are great for homelabs! I recently got a Dell optiplex mini PC from a few years ago to upgrade from my raspberry pi

1 Like

they are so much fun to mess with. especially because they are super cheap if you keep an eye out. I traded an old mobo+cpu and power supply for the 2 I have.

This is definitely something I want to get into (I have an orange pi 4lts I would like to put to use somehow) but the port forwarding stuff… I just don’t know enough about it to be confident I’m not leaving huge security holes for ne’er-do-wells to waltz through. I had Yunohost installed with the Nextcloud plugin up and running save for the port forwarding and got stuck. I’m a little out of my depth, but hearing all your successes has got me excited to keep trying <3