Tech Literacy: Terminal, Command Line & Shells

I really appreciate that about the community too!

When it comes to using the terminal / CLI, other than the example teaching outline that I shared with solaria in the other thread, I can really only think of three things that are important to highlight:

1. Remove the mystique by showing how it is immediately practical. I cannot emphasize enough that typing in commands is just another way of navigating a computer, like clicking with a mouse. Getting an idea of when one approach might be preferred over the other gives us an idea of why it is good to know both.
2. Start simple. There are very few commands that I think are imperative to know. One should at least be able to open up help documentation, navigate the file tree, change file permissions, and install software with the appropriate package manager. I cover all of those here. If there is interest beyond those foundations, then learning how to network (e.g.: using tcpdump, ssh, etc.) and write simple shell scripts for the automation of various tasks can be helpful.
3. Have fun! No matter a person’s level of understanding, computing should not be stressful. By being welcoming, patient, kind we invite others to learn with us.

2 Likes